Landie & Christiaan Greyling will help you with your preparation for the 2020 OTTER African Trail Run.
A training program to run the Otter should consist of three aspects all of which will help to make the Trail easier, more enjoyable and (should you be that way inclined) faster:
- Base level Endurance – this is your distance running. The Otter trail is a marathon distance trail run so at the very least you should be able to run a marathon. Specific to this event a lot of your base training should be done on the trails and not on the road.
- Stairs – there is a great number of stairs and step-ups on the Otter so being strong in this discipline will help you a LOT!
- Interval training – This, for some, is the most difficult part of training but, if done correctly, can offer the most benefits.
- The given Otter training plans will include 6 x 4 week build cycles toward the event date
- The plan is set on a 4 week cycle, where loads build to week 3 to include an active recovery 4th week.
- Every 4 week cycle will build progressively until the 5th cycle, to include a taper (decrease in training load) in cycle 6 in preparation for the event
- Training loads given are designed to start off lightly, assuming fitness level is low and to then progressively build as the weeks go by t
- The training plan is designed to provide Otter specific guidelines to trail run training
- These plans are structured for the novice to intermediate trail runner with a low to moderate fitness level
- The training plan is specific to running training, but makes reference to sessions for cross training and strength training.
- The training plans can be used as a structured guideline for your training where your own discretion is required on training plan selection and training load
Good nutrition plays a vital role on race day. The longer the race the more important for your body to recover.
In order to understand the products from our product partner and how to best use them, Gu provided us with some very important information. Make sure you read this and make full use of this great product.
All athletes have come to understand the importance good nutrition plays on race day! The longer the race the more important. Multi –day race and recovery also starts to play a critical part.
As a sponsor of the OTTER we’d like to help you as best we can in the lead up to the race to understand our products and how best to use them.
By way of a start, a bit about us! From 1991 until today, athletes the world over have come to the same conclusion: GU works. Our Berkeley-based sports nutrition company started with our original GU Energy Gel, a revolutionary and more effective method to keep athletes fueled during exercise. Since then, GU has continued to improve the recipe, incorporating the latest scientific research into its products. In 2001, GU Electrolyte Brew (formerly Gu2o) was launched as the perfect hydration companion to GU Energy Gel. 2008 saw the introduction of Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel, followed by Chomps Energy Chews and GU Recovery Brew in 2009. Every product is formulated to further GU’s mission: to help athletes go faster and longer than ever before.
To help each of you through the OTTER, we have put together an Athlete Performance Energy Sampler.
We will also be out there at the GU Munchie Point on race day with GU Brew mixed up & cold for you when you run through and with GU Brew & GU recovery available at the end of the race.
Here are some details on the recently re-formulated new & improved GU Brew: GU Electrolyte Brew is water’s new best friend. The fact is, when you work out you sweat more than just water. So when you drink you gotta have a special Brew with the right amounts of sodium, potassium and carbohydrates to bring your system back into balance. Used consistently, GU Brew will help you perform better and go longer. When it comes to GU Brew there are no gimmicky additives here. GU Brew is as simple as they come – with just a handful of key ingredients. Complex and simple carbs in optimal balance, vital electrolytes at the proper levels for intense exercise, and all-natural flavors. Simple. This means the product is easy on your stomach and will keep you focused on reaching your goals in training and racing. In regards flavour, GU Brew is specially formulated to NOT be too sweet! If you are looking for a sugar bomb, look elsewhere. Loyal GU athletes rave about the lightly sweet taste of our Electrolyte Brew.
GU at The Otter
Each Otter athlete will receive our Performance Energy Pack at registration – enabling athletes to use the full range of GU products throughout the event. In addition, GU Staff will be at the water point for you with GU Brew ready mixed at the finish line with sachets of GU Recovery drink. For your own research on whats best for you go to www.guenergy.com